Saturday, February 25, 2012

On the Down Side of the Mission Now - Saturday 25, 2012

Mamá cómo estas? The movie This Means War sounds good. I did meet Reese, she was nice. Farmington sounds way nice what they are doing at Station Park. It will look so different when I get back. Bummer about your email. I did get one message that I deleted cause it said it was a virus. Another trip to the Philippines with the Beus's will be so fun. You will have seen so much of those islands after that. I can't believe Elder Card only has 17 weeks left. That is great that you two keep in touch I like that. I want to plan a trip to Washington sometime after my mission and meet his family. I think he leaves in September or August but I can't remember exactly. Coming up fast though. The mission office is always an ice cube and sometimes I actually get really cold. We also have air conditioned cars so when I take a bus somewhere or go on divisions I think how hot it is. We have a fridge in the office and use the stove, microwave, and toaster oven to cook meals plus we eat around the city many times. A member washes our clothes but because we have 6 we have two different ladies. Mine is much faster and better plus she is cheaper. My shirts are doing so well. It is hot here still but we are coming up on the rainy season in two months. We have a nice apartment a block away from the office that we only use to sleep and shower. President lives by a nice shopping plaza and has a nice house in a private community. I have the responsibility of paying their light bill and it can be a lot there. We do get to go to the Family Home Evening of President a lot. In fact we went this last Monday. Elder Gardner gave the lesson and had us think of one of our heroes. I thought about Grandpa. I wrote some things about him. That he is so faithful and a great disciple of Christ. A family man and successful. He is the closest thing to a father for me and i love him a lot. I want to be like Grandpa. We talked about how our heroes emulate Christ. And Grandpa does. You are also my hero Mom. You did so much for Jessica and I and you always made sure we were taken care of and happy. You taught us good things too. I love you and am glad you are my Mom and my hero. President said how parents are heroes because of their kids. So you are also amazing because you made your parents amazing. President read my email I sent him explaining about my experience with prayer and the lost money. He gave me some good advice that I really did not think of but I will use for the rest of my life. He said write her a thank you card for her honesty and hard work and buy her some flowers. $25 of flowers is better then a loss of $3000. So I made a card on the computer, wrote an amazing letter about her great character of honesty and hard work and how more businesses with people like her would have more success. I bought some flowers but the flowers were not really what I wanted. Turns out the only flowers I could buy that day were roses. But I could not give her just a bunch of red roses cause that would be weird. So I also got some yellow ones. The guy wrapped it in newspaper. Well I can't give it to her in paper so I stopped by a craft store to make it better. To make the roses a little more awkward the only cellophane paper they had was covered with red hearts. So I enter the bank with roses wrapped in heart paper and a card. I felt very strange. And everyone was looking at me. I gave it to her and said we are thankful for all your work and your honesty. Your help with the 3000 is much appreciated. She kept apologizing but was happy and grateful. President thinks people will ask her about it and when she explains it will make others work harder and more responsibly. Smart man. This week we had a day and a half without light. It was so terrible. We could do nothing in the office and we had no water to shower or shave too. We were very thankful to shower and have power again when it came back on. We are pretty useless in the office without power. I hope you have gotten used to outlook. We used it and I like it. Takes a little bit to get familiar with the program but it is good. In your letter about the new missionary moms you mentioned Hermana Argueta. She is cool. I talked to her a little about California. Her family is from Guatemala but they live in California. Elder Heaps has a friend serving in California that was in her ward and told her to say hi to Elder Heaps. Small world. Chris has sent me a dearelder in the mission. Only one and it was short saying how he is proud I'm on a mission and I can write him if I want to talk about it. I have not. I went on divisions in Malacatan this week. I hit one year there and bought me a Twix, so yummy. I can't believe a year has gone by already. I only have 9 changes left. Wow time has gone by quickly. I feel that this year will go by much faster too. Especially because I think when I leave the office I will only have about 6 months left. I have so much to do still. However I am excited for the things I will do and have in my life after the mission. This has been a great year. The Elders I was there with did not know I was completing a year. When they found out the next day they said why didn't you say anything. It was good. We stayed there two nights. Last night we stayed in a way nice hotel. We ate a really good breakfast there of pancakes, eggs, fruit and bread by the pool. It looked so nice. I'm pretty lucky to see more of the mission, work with many missionaries, and stay in cool places. I'm going to make this year really good. Today we had no internet connection so I had to use a cafe. Been a while since I have done that, how strange. I read about Crispin and how the family is concerned about him not serving a mission. He just needs to find it for himself. Look how long it took me to figure it out. He is a very good kid, I'm sure he will make the right choice. We can't give up on him. I love that kid and think he would really enjoy a mission and be good at it. He probably just wants a little time to have college grown up life. I hope your next week will go very well. How are you doing with the reading of the Book of Mormon? I found a copy of the Miracle of Forgiveness in Spanish in the office and I have started reading that. It is very good. Mom the mission has made me think of families a lot. I love you and my family and want us to go to the temple together. I have thought about marriage in the mission a lot too. I don't know if I can do it but teaching has brought it to my mind from time to time and I want to get married after the mission. I have also had the experience this week of realizing how amazing the organization and program of the church is back home. I have seen how important it is to have visiting and home teachers that really do it out of love. I will work hard to fulfill all my assignments in the church after I come home and never stop serving others. Especially my family and my future wife. Well I love ya and miss ya. I will work hard to serve my Lord and bring more blessings to our family. I know this church is true and serves the children of God out of the deepest love. We are blessed and have such a great knowledge of the plan of salvation. That blesses our lives. The Book of Mormon is here to help us grow and return to Heavenly Father. I love you so much Mom and you truly are the greatest. You are my HERO and I can't wait to talk to you again. I'm writing a letter to Nana and Grandpa but if you can also hug them and tell them thank you for the amazing care package. I love the candy, music, and ties. They spoil me.
Love you mom!
Elder son

No comments:

Post a Comment