Monday, January 21, 2013

A Baby is Named Jensen - January 21, 2013

Hola Mom! So exciting news. There were no changes for us in Rio Blanco, that means I get to end here YEAH! It will be so good but really sad when I say goodbye to my friends. No news about the package. I have bad luck that everytime we go by the post office it is closed. But I’ll keep trying. I want to ask where the packages arrive here and then call and ask where mine went. No travel news yet. I hope it comes soon. I’m excited for the new pair of shoes. They will be wonderful. David's grandma passed away, that is sad. I send my love to his family. His grandma was really nice and I am glad I got to know her. I am still kinda sick too. This runny nose never goes away. I will have to check out this Downton Abbey show. Sounds very interesting. I don’t really look forward to the cold there in Utah but I think Rio Blanco is preparing me because this last week has been incredibly cold here. It is hard getting out of the warm bed at 6:30 because our house is so cold in the mornings. Today is not as cold but wow it’s been cold.  January has gone by so fast and I can’t believe it is almost February. I will be done before we know it. Heather is growing up so quickly it is crazy to think about. This week we met with Romulo. He really wants to change and be baptized. He has problems with drinking but is doing better. We challenged him to be baptized this coming Saturday and he said yes. I really hope that he can do it. It would be so amazing for him and his family. He has 2 return missionaries, 1 in the mission, and 1 preparing to go, but he and the mom are not members. He is wonderful and I really love the family. This Saturday we also have our Book of Mormon activity. 7 members have finished reading the book in 3 months. I’m happy that they are completing with my activity. We are going to make certificates and give a nice prize of scripture cover for the Book of Mormon. In the activity we have families we have asked to do a skit of some different scriptures. I have also made a word search and we have trivia questions. I hope it goes really well. I have been reading the Old Testament and have a goal to read it all before I go. I started January  1 and yesterday I got to Judges. Not too bad I think I can do it. As I was reading in Dueteronomy I thought about some interesting things. In Chap 4:34-35 talks about the miracles that Moses did in Egypt. Thinking about these scriptures I think the miracles were not really for the Pharaoh but more for the children of Israel. That they would believe in God and know he has power to do anything. Another is in Chap 8:2, here it says that the time they wandered in the wilderness was to try them, see what is in their heart, and if they will live the commandments. There is a video about Zion’s camp. These are similar. In Zion’s camp they never went to war (just like generations of Israel never entered the promised land), the journey was to try them and see what is in their heart, to see if they are faithful and will be the chosen people. That was a cool connection and I also connected it with the hard times in my mission. It is to try me and see what is in my heart. Pretty neat. I’m liking the Old Testament a lot. I have one more cool story. Last month a member had a baby. She was thinking of names and asked her family what my name is. Well I got to meet baby Jensen Mateo Lopez. That's right they named him after me. I feel very special and honored and happy. I think i made a good impression, that and no other person here has the name of Jensen so the kid will be unique. That was special. I want to visit here again in the future and see how Jensen is. This is the same family that the little girl calls us tio elder (uncle elder). Has any of the family got my letters I sent? Love you Mom and hope you have an incredible week and are healthy and happy. Until next week, I can’t wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment