Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day - March 17, 2012

Happy Patty's Day to you too! I was wearing green when I got your letter so no pinches here. It is very surprising to think that I have been in Guatemala for a year now. I'm so used to this country now. I remember getting off the plane and taking my first bus to the CCM. Everything seemed so new and different. I was so tired at the CCM and I remember just sleeping for a couple hours which was wonderful. It was crazy to think I am in another country and will be for about two years. The houses look different and there are people with guns everywhere. Now a lot of the things that were new and different to me are normal. I think it will be weird when I come back and see normal houses and stores. In the CCM I didn't think my Spanish was terrible but after we went out contacting I learned how much more Spanish I need to learn. I didn't know a lot. I feel I have come a long way since then, I still feel I need work on my Spanish and don't want to plateau. Wow Mom I didn't know you were such a menace to society. That would be a little alarming at first to have 4 cops surrounding you and wanting your id's not your papers. Scott is funny to say he drives you crazy. You two caused a bit of a commotion at the intersection at 5 in the evening. Bet lots of people were wanting to know what was going on. That is neat that Scott is in the paper and working on the health board. What exactly will he be doing? I can imagine he will get some more opportunities and meet new people he would not have without this position. Tino's son has never been on an airplane? Wow. That would be hard that his other son gets married while Dylan is gone. I know they will be very blessed though. That's sad the priests could not come. Sounds like you really enjoy and miss the lessons with them. That is cool. I hope they make it next week. You probably learn a lot. My week was pretty busy. Saturday my computer died again. Windows and Office stopped working again. Monday our computer guy came and re-installed everything for the second time. I have a program I use for the bank. The first time my computer died I copied the icon for the program and tried to open it but it said it was an illegal copy. I had to send a usb card to Guatemala City and wait three days to get the program back and re-install it. Now I have the program to re-install it. Monday I tried to use the installation program but it did not work. I had to send a usb to Guatemala City again and wait three days to get the program back. Thankfully this time I have a card so I was not completely out of money. Tuesday and Wedneseday we had a conference with district leaders. I went with Hermana Maravilla and the enfermeras to visit a sister missionary that is having some leg problems. I had to drive the five of them with my companion back to the church. It was very funny having 4 hermanas and Hermana Maravilla stuffed in the back seat sitting on each others laps. Then I was taking the 2 enfermeras and Hermana Maravilla back to Reu after the meeting. The roads are really bad with lots of potholes. I was going a little fast on one part of the road that had a turn and I saw potholes at the last minute so things got way bumpy and I started laughing cause the hermanas got a little tossed around. Hermana Maravilla fell asleep and I went over a big speed bump and it definitely woke her up. It was a car ride of lots of laughs. Guatemala is kinda crazy with their speed bumps. They put them all over and many times in the middle of nowhere. I found out basically anyone can build a speed bump in the road. Thursday and Friday we had training of missionaries that have only a few months in the mission. Lots of running around doing errands. Friday afternoon I went with one of the assistants to take a lawyer to Ocós Tecun Uman to do a wedding. The lawyer was talking to me and said that he knows me from somewhere. I couldn't think of it. He said were you in Samayac. Yes. He was the same lawyer that did my first wedding my first month in the mission. It was cool to talk to him. Ocós is a place I have never seen. It was cool. Very hot and not much there. Lots of banana fields for Dole. But they have something really close that is amazing. We drove 5 minutes away and I got to see for the first time in Guatemala the beach. It was so wonderful and really hard not to go in the water. We got there shortly before sundown and got to watch the sun set. It went down in less then two mins. So fast but I got some nice photos. Not a bad week. Next week is a 3 day conference for the sisters. I think we will help with that. Then there are more meetings and things and then in no time the month is about over and it is change meeting and then General Conference. Conference will be cool in the office. It's going to be a busy two weeks but that will be good. Sounds like Utah is still having crazy weather and just as crazy gas prices, $5 will be very ugly. I read all the Hunger Games books but the last one. The movie would be cool. I have a lot of movies to catch up on for two years when I get home. We might have to look into Netflix. I hope things are going wonderful for you. Hopefully the weather gets better so you can finish the yard. I can't wait to hear from you again. We get to talk about conference again with each other soon. That is very exciting for me. I love you mom and keep you in my prayers. May you be safe, happy, and healthy. Until next week. I love you mom!
Love your baby boy, Elder Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment